- 50 XP – EEEAI – attack of opportunity vs the Ice Troll Hag
- 50 XP – EEEAI – shattered the giant boulder blocking the Nibaxis statue/fountain
- 50 XP – EEEAI – 1st to sit in stone chair of Nibaxis Fountain
- 50 XP – Freya – 1st to suggest using fire on ‘frozen’ Wandala statue
- 50 XP – Freya – resisted evil aura of Liminis statue to search & find blood runes
- 50 XP – Freya – cast Magic Missile spell vs Ice Troll Hag
- 50 XP – Hallog – used torch to attack Ice Troll Hag
- 100 XP – Hallog – Killing Shot of Ice Troll Hag (critical hit with a torch!)
- 50 XP – Mary Jane – cast Produce Flame on frozen statue, 1st to try fire on it
- 50 XP – Mary Jane – helped reveal the Ice Troll Hag that resided in Wandala fountain
- 50 XP – Silva – searched and found the secret entrance in lizard statue
- 50 XP – Silva – used Handle Animal skill to ‘calm’ a giant lizard (Gordon)
- 50 XP – Sbava – used Tumble skill in combat for strategic position
- 50 XP – Sbava – used Sneak Attack ability in combat to fuck up a giant lizard
- Restore the Moradin Fountain
- Restore the Liminis Fountain
- Find the donkey
- Find Pili
In the aftermath of Ballastor battle, in which the demon was destroyed in an explosive blast that (briefly) took the lives of two PCs, the adventurers resume their search of the Temple. They discover that the baby Balor’s blast created a crack in the giant boulder blocking one of the five Fountains. The mighty halfling EEEAAAIII (aka Halfpint, Tim, etc.) used his extraordinary strength to sunder the boulder in half. When the boulder fragments were cleared away, the Fountain was restored! Quest complete!
Around this time a new face emerged from the shadows… an elf named Freya. Her past and method of arriving to the Temple was unknown to the other would-be heroes, but they welcomed her in the party. Perhaps her unique skills would prove useful.
With two of the five magical Fountains restored, the PCs now had a choice: should they continue to investigate the other ‘broken’ fountains, or search outside the Temple for the donkey they left grazing in the field. The debate over which course of action raged on for minutes, but eventually it was decided to make the Fountains their first priority.
While Tim was most interested in the largest statue’s fountain, that of Moradin the father-god of dwarves, Freya took a closer look at the Liminis Fountain, which was surrounded by strange runes written in blood. As she approached the basin, her mind was flooded with horrific thoughts and images. She fought back against the mental attack long enough to reach the fountain, but was overwhelmed by the fear and was forced to flee from the fountain!
The party then looked again at the statue-fountain of the nature goddess, Wandala. The only fountain that was perfectly circular, the Wandala statue stood nearly 10’ tall in the middle with four arms stretched out, hands pointing down. A layer of ice & frost covered the statue, and the basin was filled with ice. When the group tried using fire on the ice, it reacted strangely – as if the ice screamed in pain! They surrounded the fountain with heat & fire, and discovered what was ‘freezing’ the fountain – the ice lifted off the statue & formed into the grotesque shape of an Ice Troll Hag! And she was pissed.
The ensuing battle started off rocky, as Silva’s holy-dipped arrows failed to penetrate the monster’s defenses. But after hacking away at it, Hallog rightly used a torch to attack the Troll, striking it square in its belly. A critical hit! The Ice Troll Hag was obliterated, and the Wandala Fountain’s water flowed freely! Another Quest complete!
Ding! PCs level up!
After the battle, they returned to the Fountain of Nibaxis, the half-dwarf, half-ant creature whose fountain had a large stone chair in the middle of the basin. When Halfpint sat on the chair, the fountain came to life! A dome of crystal-clear water encompassed the Chair, and the seated Halfpint was instilled with newfound physical power. One-by-one, the other adventurers sat on the chair, and they too were infused with added strength and/or quickness.
Finally it was time for the party to move on from the auspicious Fountain room. They took the path to the right first, which led to an ornate spiral staircase winding up to the upper levels of the Temple. Try as they might, the explorers could not reach the second floor. Each time they climbed the stairs, just before arriving to the next level, POP!, they found themselves back on the first step of the staircase. Deterred for now, they left this area and instead headed for the stairs that led downstairs.
The ghost of Xalandra told them to search “below” for the gemstone eyes needed to restore the Moradin statue. So they went down to Temple Dungeon Level 1, where they had previously found the evil staff that had been poisoning the fountains’ water supply. One passage previously unexplored was blocked by a large, crude statue of a lizard creature. The ranger Silva searched and found that the lizard’s “tail” concealed a hidden passage that led to the end of the hallway. There, they reached another stairwell leading down to Temple Dungeon Level 2.